Friday, July 6, 2012

Catching Up

The fishing has been inconsistent of late. That's not to say the fish haven't been biting consistently, but more to say I haven't been able to wet a line as consistently as I would like. In my defense, the fishing time has been cut back because a few good things have happened recently...


Anyways... onto the fishy stuff. I recently picked up a Peak Rotary Vise from Flying Fish Outfitters in Nokomis. I have only tied a dozen or so flies on it so far but I can tell that this vise will be with me for a long time. It is my first rotary vise and just that detail makes many of the flies I like to tie so much easier. It was a steep purchase for a novice like myself, but I do feel like this could potentially be my last vise I will ever need to buy. Lately I have really begun to get the saltwater fly rod itch and as a result tied up some baitfish imitations. Here are a few examples...


I like the final result of the EP baitfish, but I haven't become very quick or proficient at tying them. The Crystal Schminnow is a very simple tie and also a very effective fly. The Bendback is a pretty easy tie and does a great job simulating the small almost translucent baitfish that snook love to key in on on the beaches this time of year. These are all pretty basic saltwater flies with many different step by step instructions online. I like to see a few different ways to tie a fly, and then tie my own combining my favorite parts of each person's individual style. As Steve of Gibbys Fishing Blog says, "A good fly is easy to tie and catches fish" That advice is something I will definitely be sticking to in my fly tying endeavors. 

Some blog news now, as you can see I have added a Twitter button that will link you to the blogs Twitter page. I will tweet all of my new posts there along with some articles and links that go along with the fishing theme. Also, now that the wedding has passed and life is settling back down to normal, I expect to post a bit more frequently. I really enjoy recapping my trips and having a log to look back on, and sharing tips, tricks, fishing reports and product reviews with anyone who reads is an added bonus. Look for more posts and a possible layout change in the near future! 


1 comment:

  1. Oh by the way...I got married...and now back to fishing.. haha nice JGR

    ReplyDelete