Saturday, September 8, 2012

Afternoon Spillway Fun

After running some family to the airport yesterday I found myself in close proximity to some spillways. With pretty consistent rain recently I was delighted to find water flowing at a steady rate. Within a few casts I hooked up to a small snook on a craft fur clouser I had tied up recently.



Unfortunately that was all the action I could muster in the 20 minutes or so I had to fish. I did manage a hookup with a pretty large carp on the fresh side of the spillway that spit the hook after showing his face. I am now 0/5 on carp on the fly, and every single hookup has been by accident. They tend to pick up my fly off the bottom the times that I make a cast and get distracted by something that makes me delay my retrieve. I believe most if not all have been grass carp, as many of the local freshwater canals and ponds are stocked with them for vegetation control. Also, they have hit flies with chartreuse or green marabou or craft fur on every instance, which could be taken as a "grass" imitation. Maybe there's something too that, I wonder if I should tie a few grass flies?

No comments:

Post a Comment