Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More Skinny Water Fun

I chose to hit the same area I had success in last week in search of another slam. My plan was to hit the skinny area for a redfish, then immediately paddle across the bay to get to the spot I found the large snook hanging around my last time out. The first part worked like a charm, managed a snook right off the bat in 6 inches of water. I developed an interesting technique of using a soft plastic jerk bait to "walk the dog" as you would with a topwater plug. This resulted in a lot of intense strikes, but only that one hook up with the snook. I did manage to sight cast to a tailing redfish as well. Picture perfect situation, tailed 25 feet in front of me, put a cast 18 inches in front of him, twitched once, and fish on. A bit smaller fish than last time but any sight-casted tailing redfish makes the day special.



After I got the redfish I headed to those pesky snook. This time went a bit better than last as I caught a couple of fish, but I didn't get any of the large ones. I lost a 25-26 incher when he pulled me into the grass and shook the hook, and landed two at 18 and 20 inches. I only saw 3 of the really big fish today in comparison to about a dozen last time out. I also got the same small trout as last time while targeting those snook.

The wind started to pick up and I had to paddle against it to get back to the launch so I called it a day early and made it home in time to watch some afternoon baseball. A bit smaller fish today than I hoped for, but still a successful day in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment