Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Afternoon Panfish Trip 1-20-15

Flyfishing for Bluegill from the Gheenoe! from Patrick O'Connor on Vimeo.



Location: CoCoPlum Canal
Time: 1700-1830
Tides: N/A
Weather: Clear skies, 72 degrees, light winds
Vessel: Gheenoe 15'4 Highsider
Fish: 11 Bluegill to 10 inches, 1 stumpknocker
Tactics: Shrymph fly before sunset and #10 popper at dusk

This is my first attempt at making a video short from an individual trip. I have a GoPro and a Kodak Playsport that I am shooting with. My increased mobility in the Gheenoe allows me to position the cameras via mounts and be able to move them throughout a trip. Previously, in the kayak I essentially had to place the camera in a stationary position and wasn't able to move it without getting out of the kayak to reach it. I stuck to a 15 second timeframe as thats what Instagram sharing is limited to. I assume I will continue to do so until I understand more of the filming and editing practices to make a decent 3-4 minute clip out of a trip. 

As far as fishing, it was markedly slow until the sun got low. I managed a few decent fish on my nymph fly but the real action started as dusk set in and the fish began feeding on the surface. In a matter of 5 minutes I boated two 10" bluegills on a popping fly and lost another large fish due to a missed hookset. I have typically avoided afternoon/evening trips in freshwater and after my success here I am questioning why I was limiting myself. I may have to explore this time window a bit more on subsequent trips!

Until next time, keep those rods bent!

No comments:

Post a Comment